The "Hospital" Story

In 2006 Tony Moller told me over the telephone that on the day Mona Blades disappeared, my mother was in hospital in Rotorua, that my father was supposed to visit her, and that he didn’t turn up. Presumably this was meant to show that dad was off on the Napier-Taupo highway instead.

There is a quite different story on the Police file. This version comes from Tony’s sister in law – the wife of Tony’s twin brother, John. She sent Tony an email dated 5 December 2011, which Tony then forwarded to the Police. She started it off by saying that she could “swear on the Bible” that she was giving a “true and accurate set of events”.

The sister in law then, 36 years after the event (an event that did not apparently cause her to suspect dad and go to the Police at the time, go figure) described how on 31 May 1975 she was in the Southern Cross Hospital in Rotorua, in the same room as my mother. Dad arrived to visit, behaved strangely, then left.

Tony’s covering email to the Police used his sister in law’s story to show that dad treated mum “real bad and in fact she was in the hospital with nerve damage to her arms which [dad] caused by putting pressure points on her”.

This might be quite interesting if any of it was true, but it isn’t. The whole thing is a complete fiction.

Mum has never been in the Southern Cross Hospital in Rotorua, either in 1975 or at any other time.

She has never shared a hospital room with Tony Moller’s sister in law.

She has never had treatment for nerve damage to her arms.

Mum did once have a stay in a Rotorua hospital. It was the Queen Elizabeth (not Southern Cross) Hospital and she was there for several weeks. The Queen Elizabeth Hospital specialises in arthritic and rheumatic conditions. Mum was there because of pains in her legs that the doctors were having trouble diagnosing. During the investigation into her condition, she had a piece of muscle taken from her thigh (nowhere near her arms, of course) – and has the scar to prove it. That hospital stay was in April 1974, not May 1975. Here is her hospital treatment record. It shows the date.

Here is a photo, dated April 1974, taken in Rotorua by some kind friends who visited mum and took her out for the afternoon. Ironically, those friends were Tony Moller’s parents. The man in the photo is Tony Moller’s father. The photo was taken by Tony’s mother, who wrote a “get well” message on the back. This is the only time that mum was ever in hospital in Rotorua.

As to the allegation that dad used to treat mum “real bad”, I first heard about this when I spoke to the Police on the day of the excavation in Kirk Crescent. They asked me asked to comment on the violence in our home when my sister and I were growing up. My immediate response was “What violence?” The Police told me that, according to Tony, dad used to beat mum up and that we were all terrified of him.

That is another complete and utter lie. None of us was scared of dad. There was no violence. No-one got beaten up – not me, not my sister, not my mother. Ever.

Tony Moller’s statement that there was violence in our home is a lie.